Homesick Singaporean saying Hi!


Having lived abroad in New Zealand for more than three years, I’ve never stopped craving for home food. Think: chicken rice, orh luak, claypot rice, fish head curry, fish soup, Hokkien mee, mee siam, … With zero cooking experience prior to living abroad, I had to succumb to heftily priced Malaysian food -the closest I could find to Singapore food. A portion of hawker food such as laksa and chicken rice costs $3 on average in Singapore. In New Zealand, laksa and chicken rice - of inferior standards I must add - cost at least $12. Most of my allowance have gone to dining out.

This year, I made a resolution to cook more and dine out less. This decision was inspired by my recent trip back to Singapore, where I spent days at food centres revelling in the delightful array of food that I missed dearly. Contrary to previous trips, I was more observant this time: observing how hawkers are preparing their food, and what goes into the dish. I tasted each dish with scrutiny, while truly appreciating the painstaking efforts in preparing them. 

I am no culinary genius. The dishes presented in this site are that of my novice attempts. Given a nod of approval by those I feed, I hope you will enjoy cooking and eating the dishes that we have thoroughly enjoyed.

Ok lah,
Melissa

Comments

Popular Posts