Ee-Fu Noodles aka Wedding Dinner Noodles


I have been fond of ee-fu noodles since the first time I tasted it. The only times I got to eat them were at wedding dinners. I think many Singaporeans can consent to ee-fu noodles being synonymous with “wedding noodles”. I have not attended a wedding dinner in more than 15 years -that was how long I have not tasted ee-fu noodles. Throughout the years, I have hunted desperately for this dish in Chinese restaurants, but to my disappointment, they did not match the flavour I missed dearly. My built-up desperation has motivated me to cook it myself. I turned to youtube for recipes and adjusted the recipe to my preference. It turned out to be a big hit! I am amazed at how I can still remember the taste from 15 years ago. I hope you’ll find as much joy in this ee-fu noodles as we did. 


Recipe for 2 portions

- 200g Hong Kong ee-fu Noodles
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp oil 
- 4 big whole prawns shell on, head separated
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped into small bits
- 1/2 can straw mushrooms (drained and slice thinly)
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked and sliced thinly when rehydrated. Reserve water for cooking)
- 1 tsp Shao Xing wine
- 1bsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp chicken powder
- 200ml stock
- Additional water to adjust consistency
- 10 yellow (hotbed) chives (cut into matchstick-lengths)


*Measurements of seasoning are just a rough gauge. It is important to taste after seasoning and re-adjust to your liking!

1) After separating the prawn head and body, snip the back of the prawn with scissors to devein it. Some diners are particular about the presence of gunk in the prawn so this step is crucial!
2) Boil ee-fu noodles for 1 minute to soften them. Drain, add sesame oil to noodles to prevent sticking, and set aside.
3) In a large wok, stir-fry prawn head in a little oil to extract its flavour. This part of the prawn is where the flavour is most prominent.
4) Add garlic and remaining parts of the prawn and stir fry for a minute or so. 
5) Add sliced mushrooms and continue stir frying for a few seconds. 
6) Add shaoxing wine, and let it evaporate before adding the other seasonings. After adding the stock, cover and let it boil for a few seconds.
7) If your diners are queasy about prawn heads, you can remove them at this stage before adding the noodles.
8) Add ee-fu noodles and toss it around to let the stock absorb. If it is too dry, you can add a little bit of water at this stage -or more stock if you have. 
9) Adjust seasoning to taste. You can add more dark soy sauce at this stage if the colour is too light.
10) Finally, add the yellow chives and toss for a few seconds before turning off the heat.


Comments

Popular Posts